Monday, January 27, 2020

My Hair Routine

In this post, I'm going to show you how I wash and style my hair. I'm going to be showing you this through pictures. These are products that work for me and my hair type. I hope you find this helpful if you need product recommendations.

Step One: Shampooing

I know a lot of people suggest massaging your scalp with oil before you shampoo your hair, but I don't find this necessary. I skip this step and go straight to shampooing. I use the Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil shampoo. It's not my absolute favorite shampoo, but it gets the job done. It also smells really good. This is available at Walmart, Target, or Walmart for $6.
Whenever my hair is feeling weighed down and my roots are flatter than usual, I use the Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo. I usually use this once a month. This is available at most stores for $5.

Step Two: Conditioning 

After I rinse the shampoo out. I then use conditioner in my hair. Sometimes, if my hair is losing its shape and feeling limp, I'll give it a protein treatment. I typically tend to use a protein treatment every two weeks. My favorite is the Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Yogurt Hydrate and Repair Protein Power Treatment. This is available at Ulta or Sally's for $13.
Whenever my hair NEEDS moisture, I"ll use the Shea Moisture Intensive Hydration Hair Mask. I don't use this often because my hair is very sensitive to moisture and tends to go limp when I put too much moisture in it. This is available at Walmart, Target, Ulta, or Sally's for $11.
However, most of the time I us regular conditioner. Right now I'm using the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner. I don't love this conditioner, but it works. I'm currently looking for a better conditioner. This is available at Walmart, Target, or Sally's for $10.
The only time I can detangle is when I have conditioner in my wet hair. This is the brush I use to detangle. I got it at the beauty supply store for $2.
To get the conditioner out of my hair, I don't stick my hair under the running water. I cup water into my hands and scrunch my hair until the conditioner is about 90% gone. This takes a while, but it's worth it because it doesn't crush my hair like running water would. 

Step 3: Styling 

When I get out of the shower, I first use leave in conditioner. The one I use right now is Eco Natural Cannabis Sativa Oil Natural Moisturizer Leave In Conditioner. I think this product is just okay. There are definitely better leave ins on the market. I evenly distribute this through my hair and scrunch. I got this at a beauty supply store for $15.
Next, I use a curl defining cream. The one I use is the Not Your Mothers Curl Talk Defining Cream. This is a very affordable product that I thoroughly enjoy. This is available at Walmart or Ulta for about $7.
Lastly, I use a custard for definition and hold. The one I use is the Mop Top Curly Hair Custard. I absolutely love this product. It's available at some Targets, but not all. I get mine off of Amazon for $15.

Step 4: Drying 

After I scrunch all the products in my hair, I use a microfiber towel to scrunch my hair a little more and to get excess product and moisture out of my hair. I use a microfiber towel instead of a regular terrycloth towel because traditional towels cause frizz. The towel I use is by DevaCurl. It is available at Ulta, or on DevaCurl's website for $20.
After I use this towel, I put my hair into a tee shirt and tie the sleeves together and leave my hair inside for about half an hour. This technique is called plopping and helps define your hair a little more. 

Step 5: Refreshing 

I typically wash my hair twice a week. On Sundays, I use shampoo. On Wednesdays, I wash my hair with conditioner only. I do this to refresh my hair completely because my hair tends to lose shape after a few days. On days that I'm not washing my hair, I use a spray bottle and wet my hair.
I apply the curl defining cream and the custard to my hair and scrunch. I then let my hair air dry as I go about my day.

Results

This is what my hair looks like after it's about 90% dry. 
So that was my curly/wavy hair routine. I hope you found this information useful and can take something away from this. Please let me know in the comments if you learned anything from this post or are going to try any products from my routine out.

No comments:

Post a Comment