Thursday, January 16, 2020

Why You Should Follow the Curly Girl Method (To an Extent)

If you have curly hair, you might know about the curly girl method. In case you don't, according to Naturally Curly, the curly girl method where you avoid shampoos, silicons, sulfates, heat, combs, fragrances, and alcohols. I agree with these to an extent. I do have to draw the line at some of these, though. I will break down my opinions on each of these points and you are free to take what you want from it. These are just from my personal experience and if following all of these methods work for you, continue to do so.

Sulfates:

Sulfates are harsh detergents that are in in most shampoos. The most common sulfate being Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). They are the foaming agents in your shampoo. When you shampoo suds up, it's because of SLS. This detergent is also found in dish soaps, toothpaste, and laundry detergent. Now think about your scalp. Some people have oily scalps and some people have dry scalps. People with textured hair are prone to dry scalps. Sulfates are EXTREMELY drying because they strip the scalp of its natural oils. If you already have a dry scalp, you can guarantee that sulfates will dry it out even more. You might even find that if you stop using sulfates, your scalp will be more moisturized. 

Silicons:

Silicons are commonly found in conditioners, hair treatments, and styling creams. You may even find them in your hair gel. Silicons essentially suffocate the hair. They create a layer over your strands that makes it impossible for moisture to come in or come out. The only way to remove them is to use sulfates. If you use a conditioner with silicons as a main ingredient, you may notice that your hair is soft and easy to detangle in the shower. However, once your hair dries, you'll be left with frizz. This is because of the layer that silcons create. When no moisture can get in or out, it causes your hair to become dry. This leads to frizz. If your hair is damaged, discontinue the use of silicons. You will see a HUGE improvement in your curl pattern and the overall health of your hair.

Shampoo: 

I used to be a huge believer in this. I thought that no shampoo would make my scalp healthier and less dry. I would only co-wash my hair. If you don't know what co-washing is, it's when you wash your hair and scalp with only conditioner. When I first started doing this, I loved the results. My scalp felt much more moisturized. My hair looked a lot shinier and healthier. However, shortly after, my scalp started itching to the point that I couldn't take it anymore. I looked in the mirror and noticed huge flakes in my hair. It was the buildup of conditioner and products on my scalp. I realized that not using shampoo was not for me. Now, I use a shampoo with no sulfates that has a mild lather. My scalp feels a lot healthier and no longer itches.

Heat: 

This one's a given. If you're on my blog, chances are you want to stop using heat on your hair. I  haven't used heat on my hair for two years and don't plan on it ever again. If you want to use heat on your hair, make sure you don't do it too often. Maybe once a month. If you're using heat, make sure you're deep conditioning and using treatments to keep your hair healthy. Some people like to use a diffuser on their hair to dry it quicker. They also like the added curl definition it gives them. I personally like to let my hair air dry, but if you do use a diffuser, use it on the cool setting to avoid heat damage.

Combs:

I can't even try to find a positive stance on not using combs or brushes. It's common knowledge not to use a brush or comb on dry hair. That will only cause frizz. But when I'm in the shower detangling my hair, I'm gonna use a wide toothed comb. My hair has too many knots and tangles for me to just use my fingers. Sorry, but fingers will never be enough to detangle my hair. Some claim that using a comb or a brush causes breakage. Although that's not true, I'd rather have breakage than tangled hair 24/7. 

Fragrances and Alcohols:

I use fragrances in my hair products. I like my hair to smell good. The problem that most people have with fragrances are that they're toxic for your body. I'm here for a good time, not for a long time. I will continue to use fragrances in my hair products because I like the way they make my hair smell. 
Alcohols are found in almost every hair product. They're not all bad for your hair, though. The most common alcohol found in hairspray, shampoos, styling products, etc. is isopropyl alcohol. Does that name sound familiar? It should, because isopropyl alcohol makes up 70% of rubbing alcohol. Meaning this alcohol is extremely drying and can do a lot of damage to your hair. Certain fatty alcohols such as cetearyl alcohols are good for the hair because they are excellent moisturizers and can prevent dryness and frizz. 

Curly Girl: The Handbook is a great book that explains the curly girl method in more detail. The book is written by the creator of the curly girl method, Lorraine Massey. I highly recommend giving it a read if you're interested in the curly girl method. 
Here is a link if you would like to check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment